Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How Many Ways Can You Say Vomit?

English is a colorful language. Maybe lots of languages are equally colorful; I wouldn't know, since I only speak English. But English, for sure, is colorful.

For example, how many ways can one express the idea of vomiting?

vomit
throw up
upchuck
get sick
puke
hurl
barf
yang
spew
ralph
spit up (only appropriate for newborns)

And those were just off the top of my head. A quick perusal of a thesaurus adds:

disgorge
bring up
heave
eject
emit
expel
regurgitate
retch (good one!)
ruminate

But the best ones are the euphemisms that I suspect were all created by college frat boys:

toss your cookies
lose your lunch
shout at your shoes
blow chow
the multicolored yawn
drive the big white Buick
recycle your lunch

I have declined to include many of the most colorful expressions because they made me, well, a little nauseated. If you are really curious, you can see more at www.VomitNames.com (I am not making this up. Click at your own risk).

And to those who are already planning to e-rebuke me for this post: you are right. I apologize.



No comments: